Thursday, October 23, 2008

Nights on Night Float

So I recently changed rotations... from NICU and daily office appointments to the harried scary independance of Night Float- a system when two weeks out of the Medicine rotation we stay up from 6pm to 8am the next day five days a week and care for the now 20+ people on the service. Wake-Up call! Wow... how crazy some of my nights are becoming! Not only am I running the service at night and answering pages like a mad woman, but running to codes (who haven't all turned out well), done CPR on three people now, pronounced people dead whom I don't even know and admit really sick people to our service. The hospital is CRAZY full right now- its always about finding people beds where there are not any beds... I am enjoying interacting with my classmates daily (finally!) but this is pure craziness! And I come home and sleep... haven't seen Aaron in the better part of a week but over the phone... poor guy- single living for him! But I am learning a ton by being forced to, stepping out of my comfort zone and trying to be an assett to my team. What a rush!

No comments: