Quyana (thank-you in Yup'ik) to everyone who has called, emailed, etc. during the past few weeks I have been here in Bethel. Life has been slow-going, as I have realized the fast pace of my life in residency really isn't the way the rest of the world lives... it has been refreshing, centering and boring, all in one.
Pictures from my recent trip to Hooper Bay (yeah, look it up on a map) will be forthcoming- Hooper is a village of about 900 on the coast of the Bering Sea on the far-western reaches of Alaska. I traveled there via bush plane last week for 2 days of seeing patients, riding snow-machines, learning about how health aides work in bush Alaska and getting a taste of rural living. It was COLD and FLAT and still WINTER and there were no signs of spring other than almost 24 hour days of semi-light out there. I had a great time, pictures to come once Aaron brings the converter with him to Bethel this weekend.
After 8 hour days in the office, my evenings and last weekend have been filled with reading, writing, checking HAC occasionally and crocheting. I finished a HUGE blanket this last weekend- it fits over almost the entire full bed. I brought a ton of yearn from Anchorage, and it took only w weekend to complete.
This weekend there was a Saturday Market here in Bethel, and I sold some of the butterfly jewelry I brought with me. Needless to say, it was HIT here in Bethel, as I made quite a nice wad! With part of it, I made an impulse buy- a pair of Alaskan spotted Seal and Beaver winter gloves... WARM and beautiful and so Alaskan! The woman is going to make me a hat made out of Grey Seal and sheared Beaver.
So, this next week I am going to be in the hospital doing medicine and OB, and hopefully might be able to go on some medivac's out to the villages. We'll see what the next week holds, but I am excited for Aaron to come and visit on Friday for a few days!
No comments:
Post a Comment