Tuesday, July 1, 2008

So today it begins...

Today was my first day of residency. Wow. And I mean wow. Its going to be hard getting used to people calling you a different name from now on. Funny how life just keeps a-rollin' on, especially after this roller coaster of a year for me. But now, my life as a doctor begins. And funny how coincidence makes you feel just a little bit that someone is watching out for you. Today, as I said, was my first day of residency. My first patient I saw today was a man from Ludington, MI, 2 hours away from where I grew up. We laughed about the draw of Michiganders to Alaska and joked about a bar in Bladwin we both knew about. And somehow, it made me feel better, less nervous and that I do have something to offer patients, if not sound medical advice (yet!) So, as much as today was a bit too much to handle as a new intern, it was a reminder that medicine cannot take over my life, but I have to let my life lead me where it may. Tomorrow is another day.

No comments: