Thursday, July 3, 2008

Week one.... done and over with.

I arrive back at home and plop into bed... and I officially have finished my first week of residency. Today I had 4 patients to see and round on in the hospital, lecture to attend and then a full afternoon of clinic patients, two of which did not show up (lucky for me to get my note done!) Its been crazy... but an insight to my life for the next three years! There is so much to learn I have come to realize... but it isn't about knowing it all but knowing where to look and more importantly, WHO to ask. Consultants are there for a reason, books are readily accessible and there is a world of resources out there on the Internet that can help me learn to help my patients. My first office patient today was a basketcase of issues, all untreated until she showed up to my clinic today. I had to step back at one point, when I saw her look at her watch repeatedly and I asked her why she was here in the office to see me if she had all of these problems to deal with and apparently somewhere else to be. She said "I want to get better because I have a grandchild on the way that I want to be there for for a long time." And that folks was the best answer I have heard in a long time. Bear with me- I am learning too.

No comments: