
So I ended my 8 week Obstetrics rotation on Friday (Yippee!) and had this weekend free so Aaron and I have Iditarod Fever! The whole of Anchorage has been hyped up for the last week with events, dog sprint competitions, ice carving, "the run with the reindeer" and other events of Fur Rondy, all leading up to the start of the "Last Great Race." There are 67 mushers with teams of up to 20 dogs that started today on the streets of downtown Anchorage. Hoardes of people showed up for the start- I saw Sarah Palin give the opening address and was probably one of the few folks who saw three-time winner Lance Mackey whipe out around a turn near our house! It was awesome- and on top of that, there are two Upper Penninsula teams competing this year and we have connections to the both of them! Dr. Tim's wife I worked with in the neuropsych dept with testing and her son is a UPHEC student this year-- she recognized me right away and mentioned that article in the paper a while back about me coming up here. The other team, the Steilstra's, Aaron works with a cousin who is going to get him into the start today. Aaron and a few of my fellow residents are headed to Willow to watch the official race start today and I am hunkering down to finish a few things. Exciting! We are gonna watch the updates daily... Yay!
No comments:
Post a Comment